A mere 90 kilometres northwest of Costa Rica’s capital San Jose, the spectacular Arenal Volcano lies in the northern highlands.
With easy access to the Monteverde cloud forest and Lake Arenal, the volcanic region is well-connected to the rest of the country. Holidays to Arenal usually begin in La Fortuna, the area around the volcano which affords not only picturesque views but also a number of nature walks along stunning trails. Tours of the volcano on Arenal holidays offer the opportunity to learn about the region’s diverse flora and fauna, spending time in the rainforest and taking part in adventurous activities.
The volcano is currently active and has been since July 1968, when lava began to flow following an eruption. The volcano’s behaviour could be described as a little tempestuous, and activity varies week on week. Observe the volcano at night and you can usually spot lava and hot rocks atop the cone, depending on the cloud cover. Nearby you can swim in thermal waters at Tabacon, thought to provide healing properties in its mineral pools.
The Inspiring Difference
Personal to you
- We get to know you personally
- Tailor-made holidays that are unique to you
- Enhancing your escape with personal touches
Experts in luxury
- Expert Travel Specialists with first-hand knowledge
- Only the best premium travel experiences
- Handpicked selection of world-class luxury resorts
- Speak to us any time with 24-hour support
- Premium concierge service
- Personal relationships with our passionate team
- Nearly 50 years of bespoke luxury travel
- Strong Relationships with industry partners
- Diverse portfolio and exclusive experiences