Music and mountains, coffee and cakes, spas and skiing; a holiday to Austria is a European break in a league of its own.
Landlocked in Central Europe, Austria is just a short two-hour flight from the UK. This largely mountainous country is covered in dense forest that's punctuated by glacial lakes, elegant cities and picturesque villages, and interwoven with rivers including the epic Danube.
Here many centuries' worth of eventful history have created a hefty dose of culture you won't find anywhere else, from grand palaces and enthralling museums to contemporary galleries and fairytale castles. Austria is bursting with sights to see and places to explore.
As the birthplace of many of the world's most inspiring people - like Mozart, Freud, Schrödinger and Klimt - a luxury break to Austria will see you discover her long-held passion for science and the arts that is still celebrated today.
There is much natural beauty to behold too, with azure alpine lakes, crisp mountain air and flower-filled meadows that will make you feel like you've stepped onto the set of The Sound of Music!
One of the country's best-known peaks is Dachstein Mountain, where you can take a cable car up 2,700 metres. Here you can experience the Stairway to Nothingness, as well as Austria's highest suspension bridge and the Dachstein Sky Walk. Hike in the Hohe Tauern National Park and you’ll be rewarded by the sight of Krimml Waterfalls, a place of breathtaking beauty.
Outdoor enthusiasts will find excellent swimming, water sports and mountain biking. If you have an interest in Austrian wines then the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Wachau is a stretch of stunning landscape in the Danube Valley known for its vineyards and winemaking. City-dwellers can revel in the coffeehouse culture and the collection of fascinating museums in Vienna, like the quirky Museum Hundertwasser.
There's also plenty about Austrian culture to tempt your tastebuds. Eclectic coffee houses are in all the cities (history buffs should head to Café Schwarzenberg in Vienna), or for something stronger there are cosy wine taverns. Austrian cuisine is hearty; think meat schnitzels and apple strudels, wooden boards heaving with Brettljause (cured meats, pickles and breads), and of course the epic Sachertorte; a rich chocolate cake with a filling of apricot jam.
On your luxury break to Austria don't miss:
- Schönbrunn Palace, where you can wander the halls that once belonged to the Habsburg rulers and stroll the vast gardens with their stunning sculpture fountains;
- Watching a performance at the Spanish Riding School or a classical music concert at the legendary Vienna State Opera;
- Winter fun at the open-air ice rinks and vibrant Christmas markets, the most famous being Vienna's Christkindlmarkt;
- Swimming in one of the many outdoor lidos or historic and relaxing thermal spas.
Our team of Inspiring Travel Specialists can create a bespoke luxury holiday to Austria which includes flights from your nearest airport, 5-star accommodation from a collection of Austria's best hotels, and transfers to make your journey seamless. Give them a call to chat through your tailor-made itinerary, whether you want to head to Vienna for the Christmas markets and culture, or to the mountains for breathtaking summer scenery and stunning alpine walks.
Where to go in Austria
The Inspiring Difference
Personal to you
- We get to know you personally
- Tailor-made holidays that are unique to you
- Enhancing your escape with personal touches
Experts in luxury
- Expert Travel Specialists with first-hand knowledge
- Only the best premium travel experiences
- Handpicked selection of world-class luxury resorts
- Speak to us any time with 24-hour support
- Premium concierge service
- Personal relationships with our passionate team
- Nearly 50 years of bespoke luxury travel
- Strong Relationships with industry partners
- Diverse portfolio and exclusive experiences