Updated 17 March 2022
Regardless of your vaccination status, you can now visit any country not on the red list without the need to take a COVID-19 test before or after your return to the UK
Nevertheless, the country you’re visiting might ask you to provide a negative COVID-19 test result to allow you entry.
It’s important to make sure any tests you take meet the required standards. As a quick turnaround is needed to ensure you get your test results on time, we recommend using a provider that comes highly trusted.
Our Travel Specialists are always on-hand to offer information and assistance when needed. To help you further, we’ve put as much information as possible into this guide to COVID-19 testing for international travel.
What type of test do I need to take to go on holiday and return home?
As we’ve already mentioned, you no longer need to take a test to return to the UK from a country that’s not on the red list.
However, if the country you’re visiting on holiday requires you to take a test in order to allow you to enter, you’ll need to be sure that it meets the correct requirements.
The tests must meet performance standards of =97% specificity, =80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml. This could include tests such as:
- A nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
- An antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device
When entering your holiday destination, your Travel Specialist will be able to let you know which type of test is required.
Testing for England Residents
If you live in England, you can’t use an NHS home testing kit for travelling. Instead, you’ll need to contact a private test provider who can include the following information with your result:
- Your name – which will need to match the name on your travel documents
- Your date of birth
- The result of the test
- The date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider
- The name of the test provider and their contact details
- Details of what testing device was used, or confirmation that the test was a PCR test
Keep hold of all documentation that shows the result of your tests, including printed and digital copies. You may be asked to show them before entering or leaving your holiday destination.
Please note, testing requirements may differ for residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. You can find further details on this further on in this guide.
Where can I get a test for my holiday?
There are now many private facilities in the UK offering testing services for travel
You can find out what tests your destination requires through the link below:
To further help, we’ve researched the available testing companies and have identified a selection of providers that offer a comprehensive range of options. Please click through to their websites for further details and costs.
Please note, it’s important to do your own research, read recent reviews and check each supplier’s terms and conditions when booking a test. It’ll be your own responsibility to choose a test provider for yourself.
Offers in-store COVID-19 testing service at selected sites across the UK, as well as at-home testing kits.
Express Test by Cignpost Diagnostics
Provides fast, accurate, gold-standard COVID-19 PCR and lateral flow testing across a variety of sites in the UK. Clients include Netflix, BBC, Amazon and PGA European Tour.
Offers a variety of PCR testing at test centres across the UK.
Uses UKAS-accredited labs with fit to fly experts to help answer any queries. They offer COVID Hub pick-up points, for those not wanting to rely on Royal Mail.
Their mission is to make COVID-19 testing accessible and affordable to everyone who needs it. They are proudly not-for-profit and want to contribute to getting our communities back on track.
The Inspiring Difference
Personal to you
- We get to know you personally
- Tailor-made holidays that are unique to you
- Enhancing your escape with personal touches
Experts in luxury
- Expert Travel Specialists with first-hand knowledge
- Only the best premium travel experiences
- Handpicked selection of world-class luxury resorts
- Speak to us any time with 24-hour support
- Premium concierge service
- Personal relationships with our passionate team
- Nearly 50 years of bespoke luxury travel
- Strong Relationships with industry partners
- Diverse portfolio and exclusive experiences